What do you get in a site from me?
- Content is Legible, designed and formatted for reading on the web.
- The layout adheres to classic graphic design principles: proportion, balance, rhythm, emphasis, variety, contrast and uniformity.
- Pages Print clearly.
- Content management allows you to easily control the text and media on your site.
- The interface is highly Usable. Making your site ‘pop’ is secondary to making it work.
- Pages display properly on Mobile devices.
- The site is compatible with older browsers and computers, and will work with future technology.
- The markup is standards-compliant. it uses valid HTML5 and valid CSS3.
- The code is clean, well-commented and extensible, so the site can evolve over time, without ever having to start over from scratch.
- Rigorous testing and debugging ensures that we can launch on time, on budget, with no surprises.
20+ years experience
I have worked in web development since 1999, from the original Dot-com boom to the present day. I have witnessed this industry’s successes and failures first-hand, which informs my perspective on extensibility and forward compatibility.
I also understand backward compatibility because I learned those technologies when they were relevant. I understand the difference between timeless design standards and easily dated fads. This means your project will have staying power.
I have worked for a range of clients, from small, local businesses to United Airlines, Sears, Motorola, Verizon, Home Depot, Searle, Marriott, and several other Fortune 500 companies.
I have contracted with very successful web companies like Orbitz, Expedia and others. I have worked at successful design and marketing firms like DDB, Razorfish and Ideo.
A full-service professional
Whatever you’re trying to accomplish, chances are I can make that a reality. I offer a range of different services:
- Web design and development
- Illustration, by hand or computer, including technical illustration
- Logo Design and branding
- Custom icons and user interface design
- Video directing, production and editing, including streaming video
- Management of your site including content management, hosting, domain name registration and renewal
- Font design and typography
- Print design and collateral
- Security for your site from hacking and spam
- Information graphics including maps, charts and diagrams
- Audio production: recording, editing and post-production, for podcasts and the web
- Photography and photo retouching
- eMail campaigns and HTML email design
- Interactive media on CD, DVD, USB stick and other removable media
- Online Marketing including search engine optimization, analytics, advertising and social media integration
- Copywriting, editing, proofreading, slogans and naming
- Consulting on proposed, developing or existing projects
- Mobile app management in the Apple app store, Google Play store or Expo.io
I also maintain my own server and can build you a mail server, web server, cloud platform, intranet, security system or any similar network.
- AJAX; JSON, web applications, and REST APIs; some Vue.js, React Native experience
- HTML 5, including Microformats like Schema.org
- CMS/CRM: WordPress, Drupal, and Craft; SugarCRM and other CRMs; DNN, Joomla, CMSMS and others
- CSS, LESS, SASS/SCSS, Stylus, XSLT
- Template engines: Twig, HAML, Smarty and others
- PHP, with experience in ASP.net and other server-side scripting languages
- MySql and other SQL administration
- Mobile web development
- XML, RSS, RDF, YAML and an understanding of semantic markup in general
- Git, subversion, repository management
- IT, with a focus on Linux/Apache; Postfix, Dovecot; with IIS and Nginx experience. I host most of my clients on my VPS.
- Cloud Services: S3, EC2; Google Cloud services, Tag manager, and Google APIs